In today’s sermon, I talked about the importance of identifying the idols of your heart. If you want to understand the idols of your heart, prayerfully ask these questions:
- What am I living for? What are my hopes and dreams?
- What do I wake up and go to sleep thinking about? Where does my mind naturally go? What do you daydream about?
- Whose opinion matters most? If I’m unsure about what to do in any given situation, whose opinion comes to mind?
- What gives your life meaning? How do you define yourself?
- What do I do to escape? When life gets tough, what do I find my comfort, safety, rescue and pleasure in? It could be work, video games, the silent treatment, hiding in a book, fantasizing, etc.
- What do I talk about the most?
- What do I spend my money on?
- What am I most afraid of losing? What do I worry about most?
Once you identified your idol, think about why you are chasing after it. Then you’ll know why you are falling for that particular idolatry.